Sunday, September 26, 2010

When Bloglooking*...

*A complicated sport for when you are bored and looking for cool blogs
(Note: the following is generally for writing blogs AND picture blogs, but some of the following content might only possibly apply to writing blogs.)

When I go bloglooking, I look for these things in a blog:
  • A COOL LOGO If you have a cool logo (i.e. a picture with your blog title in front of it, your blog title in a cool font, etc.), it says to me that you take time out of your busy schedule for your blog to actually look good. This says to me that you care about your blog, you care that it's the best it can be AND that you care about your viewers.
  • A CLEVER TITLE If you have a clever title (i.e. not too long, spot-on with your post topics, etc.), it says to me that you want people to look at your blog title and say "Oh, that sounds awesome!", that you want people to be interested in your writing/pictures, and that you're proud of what you do.
  • A CLEAN LAYOUT If you have a clean layout (i.e. all widgets in the right place, not-too-busy patterns, etc.), it says to me that you, again, take time out of your busy schedule for your blog to actually look good. You care that people will enjoy reading your blog, and that people will come back to your blog.
  • A WELCOMING MESSAGE If you have a welcoming message (i.e. part of your logo (see: a cool logo), in the sidebar, etc.), it says to me that, yet again, you take time out of your busy schedule for your blog to actually look good. You want people to return to your blog, to feel welcome and invited to your blog, and for there to be no discomfort or awkwardness.
  • AN EYE-CATCHING POST If you have an eye-catching post (i.e. an interesting post title, entertaining post topics, etc.), it says to me that you want people to read your blog, that you want long-time viewers, and that you like sharing your thoughts and ideas with the world.
I've been on several blogs that had many or all of these things, and now, those are my favorite blogs. (See the new blogroll I've just added on the left sidebar at the bottom.) I've been on several blogs that had little or none of these things, and now, I don't even remember them, because I never gave 'em another thought, even after reading multiple posts, just in case the most recent posts was one of their weaker ones. I always give blogs a chance. I think that it's kind of hard to get long-time viewers if they just look at the page. What if the most recent post, which was at the top, was just you celebrating National Boring Day? They'd just go to another blog because your first post didn't hold their interest. That's why I have the welcome message at the top of the right sidebar. So they know what it's about. Just in case my most recent post wasn't that interesting to that particular person.
I always give blogs a chance, and I hope you've given Awesomeology a chance.
What do you look for when bloglooking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

monica: omg hi
monica: what 2k u so long?
monica: we were suposd 2 meet up like an hr ago
monica: r u even here?
monica: RESPOND
monica: puhLEASE
monica: ugh! where r u?
monica: wh@ever, nvm.
monica: leave a comment tling me where u went.
Monica has left the chatroom.

did you like that post? try these:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...